Adoption…

adoption collage
Yesterday I started writing a post about our adoption, and I had what I wanted to say. But as I typed out the post all it really turned into was me trying to justify explain why we are adopting, and to be honest there is no reason for me to do that. So I scratched that post and I am starting over, and writing something that is from my heart, instead of from my head.

Today was a truly exciting day for Karen, and I . This afternoon we went to Babies R Us and we started our registry for our new child. Even though we don’t 100% know who we are getting we do know that we will be getting a girl and there is a lot of basic stuff that we do need. When Karen was pregnant with both Madi and Gavin she was stuck on complete medical bed rest because of complications she had during the pregnancies.. so the one thing she never had with both children was a baby shower. So friends, and family decided they wanted to do this for us…which is so very thoughtful.

The one thing with adopting is it is hard to get “excited” about it. Especially when you have to take 10 weeks of parenting classes, take CPR classes have 5 weeks of home studies of people dissecting you to make sure you are sound parents. FBI clearances, child line clearances, water tests…financials…. you name it.. it needs to be done. But now we are through all of that we have a potential match that we are praying works out.. its now starting to get to a point that we can begin to get excited.

This afternoon I have been thinking about our future child…whoever she is.. What it will be like to bond with a child who isn’t a newborn.. Will be hard.. will we run into issues with her connecting to our family? A million things…. but I feel like this evening while driving home.. God just said to me.. “I am taking care of everything.” He is has the perfect child out there for us. He knows how its all gonna work out. I am getting excited to be a dad again. Both Karen and I hearts are so full of love that we cannot wait to be able to give a child a forever home.. A home full of life.. a home full of love… a home where there is a big sister waiting to love on her new sibling.

So tonight my heart is full. Full of love for all 3 of my children.

Full of love, joy, and excitement…

9 Responses to “Adoption…”

1. Paula
    October 10, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

Well said Adam! I'm so excited for you all – and I'm glad that you decided to re-write this! You don't have to "justify" or explain why you're adopting; I think it's brilliant that you are (and something more people should do!).

October 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm #

Thanks Paula! We know that this is God's plan for us, and thats all that matters.

3. Jessica
    October 10, 2010 at 8:33 pm #

You are a good Dad. Praying for your family. God always shows up.
    J.

4. ineffablegod
    October 11, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

Dude…beyond excited for you guys!! Will continue to lift the whole process in my prayers. Ahh..and you don't need to explain anything..let me take care of them haha.

5. Laura Anne
    October 11, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

I am so excited for you guys. I love what you've written here.

I've never adopted or had children of my own (at least not yet) so I don't pretend to understand, but this I do know: I have 2 sets of close friends who have let me be part of their families…they both have 2 children each, and I love them to bits. I would jump in front of a bus for them if I had to.

Praying for you all through this exciting process – there'll be ups and downs I'm sure, but nothing God can't bring you all through.

October 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

@ Jess.. Thanks so much for the prayers.. I appreciate them!!

@Jon Thanks Bro.. Yah ill be sure to send all the people who question me over to you…so you can deal with them.

@Laura…I feel the same way with some friends and their kids.. would do anything for them… like they are my own.

7. David
    October 12, 2010 at 6:04 am #

This is gonna seem kind of selfish, but I'm almost more excited to meet your new (adopted) child someday.

Because I already know you're amazing parents, and I look forward to seeing that influence in the life of another beautiful child that God has chosen for you, even if by a slightly different route to "normal"

Whatever normal means 🙂

Love you guys!

8. stephen lechner
    October 12, 2010 at 8:20 pm #

i love this post. excited for you guys.

9. Princess Isabelle's Corner
    October 27, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

OOOPS I left this comment in your S.S.S. post.

I came across your blog not long ago. I am praying for your family as you heal and open your home & hearts to another precious child. I know the waiting part of adoption is tough. Just remember it is all worth it. We adopted 5 after having 2 birth children. I'm sure you have lots of support in your parenting classes but if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at tgalloway1@cox.net

There is so much you don't learn from parenting classes. We also had 60+ foster babies & toddlers over 12 years. I would love to answer any questions you & your wife may have.

So happy for you all. 🙂