More Than Hallelujah…

Yesterday on my way home from work I was listening to our local christian radio station, and a song came one. I recognized the artist. It was Amy Grant. I didn’t know the tune she was singing and figured it was something new she had come out with and immediately it wasn’t my taste so I was about to write it off and just zone out…. but all of sudden some of the lyrics grabbed my attention.

The woman holding on for life,
The dying man giving up the fight
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes
The tears of shame for what’s been done,
The silence when the words won’t come
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

Those lyrics themselves are powerful. And part of the reason they were so powerful to me is because I have been in that very spot several times. I have been to the place where my heart has been so broken… so tired… so weary that I just didn’t have the words to even say anything. All I had were tears just falling from my eyes. It is amazing that we have a God that we don’t have to know the magic words to say to get Him to listen to us. We don’t have to send up this perfectly formulated prayer for him hear what is bothering us. We can just come as we are..wherever we are in the midst of whatever we are going through and He will hear us.

Growing up that was one of the hardest things that I had to get past. For so long I felt that I had to pretend to be awesome prayer person to make sure I sounded like I had it all together… and for what? Definitely not for God. I was doing to make myself look better. But going through everything with Gavin I realized that God can handle the junk. He is strong enough for all the mess that we are in, and He is looking for perfect words. What He is looking for is more than just words…He is looking for real authentic interaction with you. And sometimes when we are at extreme happiness and completely fulfilled, or completely broken and feel so lost… it’s in those moments that we have nothing else to hold on to but knowing and believing in Christ and all of His promises, and feeling His love wash over us is where the real Hallelujah pours out. Let’s Conga Party by Microgaming

11 Responses to “More Than Hallelujah…”

March 29, 2011 at 8:37 am #

Good thoughts Adam. I have been in that place many times before – feeling the need to pretend to be someone else to “be a good Christian”. I’m grateful that He has broken me over and over and graciously shown me more of His character during those times… showing me that it’s not about me, and always about Him.

2. Francine H
    March 29, 2011 at 10:00 am #

That reminded me of a saying that I heard a while ago that I like:

On this day, God wants you to know that if you relax, it comes. Don’t seek, don’t search, don’t ask, don’t knock, don’t demand – relax. If you relax, it is there. If you relax, God shows you the way.

Sometimes our lives get so busy that we forgot to just sit and relax and listen.

March 29, 2011 at 10:58 am #

And the funny thing is I was trying to pretend myself. Which is just kinda even more ridiculous. But so glad to know that He can handle everything I have

March 29, 2011 at 11:00 am #

I totally agree Francine. Great quote to remember

March 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

Powerful post, Adam, and so true. There have been plenty of times in my life when my brokenness was all I could offer, and it taught me a new aspect of God’s greatness that even when I’m a mess, even when I’m screaming at Him, He still receives me.

Thanks for sharing this!

March 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

Bro, love the post. I can totally relate to this. It’s funny we were talking about this in my small group yesterday. I know that there have been times where I though I had to be a certain way when I approached God. That I had to have it altogether, and say the right things. How crazy is that?! We have a God who knows us, our thoughts, and our hearts. He wants us to be real with Him. I’m always reminded of Psalms…they are definitely not lighthearted fluff, but they are sincere and full of emotion.

7. Moe
    March 29, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

I am so glad that God understands the language of the heart. My deepest prayers have been the ones where I didn’t say much (if anything at all) but my tears were enough to say what I had to say. There is no doubt in my mind that God understands us.

March 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Exactly Jason.. It’s so funny how we can think the complete opposite

March 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Thanks Jon. Love ya bro!

March 29, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

Dude. I’m so glad he understands us too. Cause if he didn’t I’d be in trouble 🙂

11. Larry Hehn
    March 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

I probably would have turned the song off and missed it. What a great message. Thanks for sharing this, Adam!