Adoption…

Well we are less than a month away from the adoption of Angela being finalized.  June 9th 2011 at 9:40am at the Lancaster County Courthouse will be here before we know it, and then it will be official in the states eyes that Angela will be a “Owens”   But in our heart she has been a Owens since she came to live with us back in the beginning of December.  If you read any of Karen’s posts she has detailed just how far Angela has come since living with us.   This was a girl who could barely hold her head up on her own, was completely dependent on her feeding tube to eat 3 meals a day.

We have gently pushed helped her to become stronger.. she passed her swallow study and has been eating by mouth 3 meals a day which for a girl who has CP, a genetic disorder, and cortical blindness that is amazing, and nothing short of a miracle.   Angela gets 4-5 therapy visits a week for PT/OT/ST, and had countless Dr appointments to just get her current and up to date with all her Specialists.   I mean I can’t even tell you how many hours Karen has logged going back and forth to DuPont with Angela.  But we do it.. because she is our daughter, and she deserves to have the best life that we can give her.

I can remember when we first decided to look into adoption everyone was very excited for us, but it was funny when we would tell people that we wanted to adopt a special needs child a few just kinda looked at us.  And sometimes they would say “why? would you do that again?” or “Are you sure?”  Because to us we feel that having Gavin prepared us to be able to love and take care of another child. To us this was pretty much a no brainer for us.  We knew this was something that we wanted to do.

It has been amazing to see how Angela has just perfectly fit into our family.  From the first moment she came home  she was our daughter. She was Madison’s sister.  It was never anything harder than that.   Are there some days that are more difficult than others?  Yes.. sure  but there are days that are like with Madison… and I think with any kid, but that doesn’t mean its harder to love her.

It’s moments like these that you can see just how much this little girl was supposed to be apart of our lives.  That God knew what she would be our little girl.  So I can’t wait for June 9th to get here.  Then we will get to hear the judge proclaim that Angela Piper Owens is ours. Just like she has been ours from the day she has born… and that my friend will be a beautiful amazing day.

13 Responses to “Adoption…”

1. Moe
    May 18, 2011 at 9:26 am #

We all know this was planned in the heavens long before you even knew about it. I’m glad this chapter of your life will close (legal one) and you can continue to love, cherish, care and love some more Angela. I usually take a look at your wife’s blog to see some photos and each single photo easily reveals that love that you, your wife, and Madison have for Angela. It’s a beautiful thing. You are so blessed my brother. Love your heart dude! (oh, and you hair too) 🙂

2. Sarah
    May 18, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Why would you?

Well why WOULDN’T you?

June 9th will be an awesome day.

May 18, 2011 at 11:16 am #

Counting down the days alongside of you, my friend. Going to be exciting and joyous all wrapped into a beautiful moment. Thanks for sharing!

May 18, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Excited for you guys!!

May 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Thanks buddy for you words or encouragement and envy (of my awesome hair 😉 I just cant wait till we can post her picture with out the dot over her face.

May 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

Thanks Sarah. That was our response.. Why wouldnt we do it..

June 9th will indeed be an awesome day.

May 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

Thanks Dustin!!

May 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

Me too I’m excited too!! 😉

May 19, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Dude, SOOO excited for you and the entire Owens fam. It’s been so awesome to see God working out all the details. You guys are awesome. 🙂

May 20, 2011 at 6:43 am #

Thanks Jon. It really is cool to look back and see this whole event was orchestrated by God. Like Moe said he knew Angela was gonna be apart of our family before she was even born.

11. Tony Alicea
    June 1, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

Wow, this is incredible man. You are really displaying the heart of the Father. This is inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story.

June 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Thanks so much Tony. we are very very excited for Angela’s adoption to be finalized. She is an amazing little girl.

13. Alex Humphrey
    June 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

This is beautiful, Adam. I am sorry it took me this long to read it.

My wife and I are hoping to adopt (we’ve only been married a bit more than a month, so adoption is still a way off in the future, but it’s something we’re planning for now). Your words encourage me and remind me that we’re making the right decision.

Thank you for sharing your life with us, Adam. God uses you to encourage and teach me with every post.