June 14, 2006…

The phone rings.  I wake up from my deep slumber to answer my phone.  I said..“hey…whats going on“, and on the other end of the phone I hear Karen say “I’ve been having contractions for an hour and the Dr’s can’t stop them this time…. It’s really happening you need to get down here as soon as you can.”  At this point Karen had already been in Lankenau Hospital (just outside of Philadelphia) for 2 weeks since her water broke. She was only 30 weeks pregnant when I got the phone call.   I don’t remember much after that.  I rushed around got dressed, Madi was either with my inlaws or my mom was already here I can’t remember.  But I remember just driving…and driving fast the 45-50 mins to the hospital.  Then when I was about 10 mins away my phone rings again… “Hello?!?” I say.   “Where are you?!?!  I am in the delivery room and I don’t think I can wait much longer” I hear the ear piece say to me.   At that point I put on my hazards on my car and I just floor it down City Line Ave in Philly.  Weaving left and right past cars.. honking my horn to have people get out of my way.    Finally I just pull up to the hospital doors park my car and I sprint upstairs to the Maternity Ward.  I get checked into the ward and find Karen in the delivery room…with about 30 medical professionals.  I made it….ugh I made it.  Not 10 mins later we got to hold Gavin in our arms for a brief moment before the was rushed off to the NICU.   But in those brief moments of seeing him….I was in love.

I will never forget the day Gavin came into this world. His birth was a miracle.  We had heard of all of the things that could go wrong and the percentages of his survival rate.  But we knew we had a fighter.  We just knew he wasn’t going to give up.

Today I sit here in utter amazement that this all happened 5 years ago.  5 years ago we welcomed Gavin into our world.  5 years ago Madi became a big sister.  5 years ago our world changed and we didn’t even know it yet.  I wonder what Gavin what he would look like at 5 what would he be doing…saying…acting like….and it just makes me miss him.  Not a day goes by that I don’t think about him.

So today Gavin I want to wish you a Happy Birthday.  I will never forget the day you came into this world.  It was one of the most adrenaline rushed moments in my life.  But it was all worth it to make in time to be able to see you for the first time.   I love you my son…. my beautiful beautiful son, and I miss you more than words describe.

Happy Birthday Gavin…

12 Responses to “June 14, 2006…”

1. Nathan
    June 14, 2011 at 7:54 am #

Beautiful post bro. Happy birthday to Gavin!

2. Moe
    June 14, 2011 at 7:54 am #

Happy birthday Gavin!!! Thank you for touching the life of your parents in such a special way and ours in the process.

Adam, thank you for sharing these moments with us. They are very special and personal and yet, you bless us with them.

3. Bcrab
    June 14, 2011 at 7:59 am #

Can’t even imagine that, man. To have experienced all that you have and yet still have your love and heart…you and Karen are so inspiring.

You’ve got me beat, that’s for sure!

4. Joelle Morgan
    June 14, 2011 at 8:59 am #

You are incredible. Both of you. And Madison. And Angela. You completely inspire me. Happy Birthday Gavin.

Thankyou for always being so courageous in bringing us into your journey.

June 14, 2011 at 9:16 am #

Beautiful post man – you had me tearing up. Happy Birthday Gavin.

6. Lisa Walk
    June 14, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Beautiful story and reminder of the miracle of Gavin’s life… He was born a fighter, always a fighter. What a courageous little guy. He must’ve gotten that from his father 😉 Your family is beautiful, thank you for the gift of your son- sharing him with us you have inspired us all. Your family is so beautiful. God bless you, Karen, Madison and Angela– your newest little gift from heaven. Her big brother is so proud!
    Happy Birthday Gavi!! So cool that you get to celebrate with Jesus this year! God bless you all 🙂
    – Lisa and Michael Walk

7. Sarah
    June 14, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Happy Birthday Gavin 🙂

8. Jessica
    June 14, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GAVIN!!

June 14, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

All choked up reading this. Seriously, thank you for letting us into your journey. Happy Birthday Gavin! P.S. you have the best birth date ever! 🙂

June 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

Happy Birthday Gavin. Adam, thanks for sharing. Really.

11. Alex Humphrey
    June 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

It’s been said by others, and I can’t help repeat it. Beautiful post, Adam. Thank you for your openness. You remind me what’s truly important in this world

12. Ben
    June 15, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

Happy belated, Gavin. Adam, thanks for this.