Talking…

If you have known me for any point in time in real life, or over the interwebs you probably know that I like to talk. I’m a “talker”, a talk’oholic if you will. I mean I am at almost 21,000 tweets in just under 2 years so that should give you an indication that I can converse with just about anyone, just about anything.

But yesterday I was talking Brandon, and I made the comment and realization that my talking with God has really taken a back seat lately and I really needed to fix that. That is one area of my walk I get so hung up on and I’m not sure why. I remember when Gavin was sick. I prayed a lot. For peace, strength, healing, wisdom. You name it I probably prayed it. But in my own head now I feel like… well God knows my thoughts why do I need to say them out loud. (which is totally a backwards thought I know) But it’s is what is being fed to me to not open up my yapper and just talk to God.

This morning I have been looking up verses on prayer, and a few I have heard over and over again but some struck a new chord in me this morning.

Don’t fret or worry.  Instead of worrying, pray.  Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns.  -Phillippians 4:6

So let’s walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give.  Take the mercy, accept the help. – Hebrews 4:16

That verse in Hebrews I can’t even tell you how many times that has been given to me, or how many times I have heard it.   I have always associated that verse for when I was in trouble or a hard spot or “needed” help.   But  what I have got from this verse this morning is that we always need help….always.  Even when times are going well I still need His help.  I can’t do this life on my own because when I do, then I start to feel like I’ve been feeling.  Which is stressed, out of sorts, not sleeping great, and just restless.

So yesterday on my way from work… God and I talked…w had a conversation, and basically just got caught up.  And you know what?  it was nice. I need to be more intentional about doing this everyday.  Even though God knows everything about me, He still wants to hear from me because He loves me and wants to be apart of everything in my life.  I just need to let me be apart of it.

*raises my coffee mug* So here is to more talking… *cheers*

What about you?   How’s your conversation with God been lately, and whats your favorite milk shake?

15 Responses to “Talking…”

1. bryan
    July 8, 2011 at 8:47 am #

It had not been often enough, but I tend to converse with him in cycles. I know I feel better when I do it on more a regular basis, I just tend not to. It’s something I have worked on in the past. A book I’m reading is God’s Love Letters to You and it is meant to be read daily, a 40 day devotional and has a prayer for each day, but I have not been reading it daily…

Vanilla…
    (so random)

July 8, 2011 at 9:28 am #

well I pride myself on being random. 😉

it’s funny how difficult we make it. But I need to remember that its just talking. thats it. Nothing more nothing less. and that’s what I just need to do.

July 8, 2011 at 9:54 am #

I’m a sucker for Cookies N Cream Milkshakes….. so good.

I need/want to have more conversations with God. So often I view it as a one-sided deal (I’m waiting to hear from Him, or I’m petitioning Him for something…). Not the right view of things, and something I want to be intentional in.

July 8, 2011 at 10:23 am #

dude.. cookies n cream. Yum yum yum

I hear you on making a one sided deal.. and that’s how I get de-railed from making it a daily thing. But I just need to be reminded He wants to just hear from me…even when I don’t need anything. It really is changing the way I view prayer in general.

5. sarah
    July 8, 2011 at 11:28 am #

I said months ago that of all the people I follow on twitter you tweet the most, and it still holds true (I think). My conversations with God have been increasing, and I’m not really letting Him get a word in edgewise.

Peanut butter

6. Justin
    July 8, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

I guess my convo’s with God are pretty much continuous throughout the day. Sometimes my heart dialogue is not always postured correctly tho – I get in a bad habit of talking at God instead of listening, and hearing how he’s speaking to me – this usually results in me drowning him out. I’m aware of it, and I’m learning to be a better listener.

Favorite milkshake? Chocolate Malt!

July 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

hahah.. I can’t help it. I’ve got lots to say 🙂 Yah there is definitely a fine line between talking, and listening. I think once i can get into a regular routine of making my talking to Him consistent I think I’ll start to know when to keep my mouth shut.

mmmm Peanut Butter Shakes.

July 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

Justin I’ve been there too in the past where I feel like i just talk talk talk talk… but I never shut up to hear what he says. there are times when we need to be silent. But I think for me I equaled silence as not having to spend any time with Him.. which is just wrong.

I can tell im gonna be getting some ice cream this weekend for all these shakes.

9. Ernie
    July 8, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

Hey Adam,
    I’ve been talking with God more as of late…and probably because my heart is really hungry for whatever He has for me. There’s been some things in my life that I’ve been putting off for a while and now I’m so sick and tired of them that I finally want what God wants. The one thing I have to be intentional about is talking to God in a meaningful way. It’s really easy for me to go on and on about absolutely nothing instead of praying His truths for my life.

I like chocolate milk shakes…even though they usually give me horrendous gas.

10. Alex Humphrey
    July 9, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

My conversations with God have needed some work. He’s drawing me in and I’m still resisting. I tell myself there is so much to do, I allow myself to get “busy” with lots of nothingness. And yet, when I do talk to Him (in the morning, before meals, throughout the day) life is always so much better.

Prayer is a priority I can no longer neglect

July 10, 2011 at 8:02 am #

Ernie,
    I hear you man about putting off some things. Ive been there and I am definitely wanting more from Him. I read The Me I Want to Be earlier this year and it opened my eyes to a lot things that God has for me. Its a really great book you ever want to check it out.

But if its a good milkshake… its worth the gas. 🙂

July 10, 2011 at 8:03 am #

Yes Alex! I feel the same way. When I give God the time its amazing how the day seems to go so different.

13. karen l.
    July 11, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

Hi Gavin–have followed your wife’s blog off & on for awhile–I am a friend of Malisa Matheny’s (she has mito). Your scripture on ‘worry’ has been cut & pasted onto a Word document that I keep with quotes & verses. My oldest child, a boy, is going away to college & I feel like all I will do is worry. Will try to keep this scripture in mind…thank you so much for sharing!

July 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

I’ve been slacking in this department as well buddy. Like you, I need to make more of an effort to spend time with Him; everything goes out of whack when I don’t.

My favorite milkshake…Black and White! Mmmmmmm.

Praying for you bro!

July 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

God and I definitely need to catch up. The last few days of the mission trip, our travel day home on Friday, and all yesterday I was sleeping, busy, getting stuff done and realized that I hadn’t really spent any real time with God. Thanks for the reminder…and the slap in the face.