Trust…

That is a word that I have heard and used many times.  All through Gavin’s life it was a major theme with Karen and I.  We were trusting in God and His plan even though we had no idea where it was going to lead us.  So you think by this time in my life I would have the whole “trusting in God” thing down.   errrrr WRONG.

The past couple weeks at work have been challenging.  Not because my job is difficult or completely mentally exhausting…but because I am just not interested or passionate about working in a cubicle looking a spreadsheets for 8hrs aday 40 hours a week.   What’s that you say… What am I passionate about?   Now that my friend is a million dollar question.  I feel like God has me in a transition period.  transitioning for what I dunno…but I feel like there is something else out there for me, and that is what I have really been trying to focus on and try to listen for God’s voice and follow where He is leading.  I know that there is some personal work that I need to do…. and that while I am working on “me” this is where God has me at this particular moment.  So that brings me back to my job.  The past couple weeks I’ve been having a miserable attitude and my focus has been zero.  And just this week I was whining  talking to a friend just throwing a “pity me” party..and you know what… He didn’t pity me and in fact he gave me some great advice.  After that advice I decided to get up get some fresh air and as I was taking a stroll around my office building I felt like God was saying to me.. “Adam… didn’t you trust me when you still had Gavin?  Didn’t you believe that no matter what I was in control?  So now what’s different…why aren’t you trusting me”   Ouch…  and honestly He was right.  Believe it or not it’s so much easier to trust when our life is in complete disarray.  But when things aren’t “that” bad we feel like we can handle it on our own.

Right now I am doing a 90 day study of David, and how he went from being a shepherd to how he became King of Israel.  Throughout this whole story there is the ever present theme of trust, and even when David didn’t feel like trusting in God he continued to remember the promises that God gave to him.  While reading through the life of David I can see so much of me in him…knowing that i have some of the same traits as David and its been eye opening to see some of the parells between us.

So yesterday afternoon I got a new perspective.  I understand that this job I have is only temporary…. it is where God has me for now in this period of my life.   I need to continue to focus on what God is doing on the inside of me… focus on the change that he wants to bring from the inside out, and once those changes come through then He and I will focus on the outside change.

It’s crazy to say that I am learning to trust God in “non life threatening” circumstances.  Usually it goes the other way around.  But that’s ok.   I am just thankful that I have a God who can deal with my whiny melt downs, and that he has placed people in my life that are there to help me refocus and get back to what is important.

So how about you… How do you handle trusting God.. is it something you struggle with?

19 Responses to “Trust…”

1. Nathan R.
    November 16, 2011 at 9:41 am #

I’ve been enjoying reading The Fred Factor by Mark Sanborn. http://www.amazon.com/Fred-Factor-Passion-Ordinary-Extraordinary

Gives a great perspective on how we treat others, our job, and life in general. You should check it out.

Also, check out James Altucher’s blog. Some great advice on finding your passion, quitting your job, and more. It’s a bit raw at times, but some real gems. http://www.jamesaltucher.com

November 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

I’ve been trying to trust God when it comes to my job as well, though I’m in a little bit different of a boat than you. I only make $700 a month (that’s right, a MONTH) at my job – no where close to covering my basic (and only) living expenses: mortgage, utilities, internet, phone, gas, food and student loan. I have no problem trusting him to provide, it’s trusting Him that this is actually what’s best for me when I have applied to over 700 jobs and this seems to be all I can get – and it’s just sitting at an info booth answering questions. Can be pretty demeaning at times. BUT, He is in control. Or on crack. I’m not sure which one yet. LOL

3. Evy
    November 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

Your gram would tell you 2 things.
    1) Any job you are doing is worth doing it the best of your ability.
    2) Anything you do, do it for the glory of God.

I know that the place God has us in can be frustrating at times. Remember you are not in this alone. God is there with you in that cubicle.

4. Ernie
    November 16, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Adam, I think we’re kindred spirits! Right now I’m really trying to focus on what God is doing on the inside and trusting that he’ll take care of the details.

5. Maria Olivere
    November 16, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

Can u imagine a new job and transitioning a new baby boy? U, my friend, are where u need to be right now!

6. Sarah
    November 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

Me? Struggle with trust? Never. (Big lie)
    I feel the same way about my job. Sometimes I just have to take it hour by hour. It works for me, every once and a while.

November 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

Thanks Nathan. i will definitely check that book, and blog out.

November 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Jason the first time I heard that.. I couldn’t believe it. I can only imagine how hard it is to trust that this is God’s best for you. definitely be praying that you can find continued peace in your situation.

November 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

We are kindred spirits… but your judo kick is way more awesome than mine. Praying for you man.

November 16, 2011 at 7:22 pm #

thanks Maria.

yah definitely not wanting to change jobs right now…. but maybe at some point. 🙂

November 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

yes.. sometimes hour by hour.. i know how that goes..

November 16, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

I would be lying if I said that I never have a doubt over my finances. I even worried about them some today as the checkbook is almost empty, bills are coming in and I won’t get paid until next week sometime. But, He is faithful. Thanks for the prayers bro. Praying for you guys as well!

13. sara
    November 17, 2011 at 7:43 am #

Yeah definitly something i struggle with. In daily life. I know he is there and that I believe him. However isnt it hard to turst anyone? I am hoping to reach and understanding with god as he is so very important with life. But I too realize he has been there all along. But he will see us through. Just gotta believe. Beautiful Blog How is life. Its good to know you are doing ok after all these years. Sara

November 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Dude…definitely struggle with this. It’s one of those things where it’s so easy to say, and then you look at your actions, and they don’t match up. I mean with this whole job thing, it’s kind of been that way, and God came in, and was like “what is wrong with you…I got you.”

I’m with ya man. Praying for you!

November 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

Thanks for sharing, Adam. I think the hardest thing to remember at times is that trust needs to happen in all areas of life – it’s not just a “trust in the good times”. We trust in Him because He is. We trust in His character.

November 18, 2011 at 6:08 am #

Wow..I like that Dustin. “We trust in Him because He is.”. Thats a powerful statement right there

17. Thomas Mason
    December 1, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

Trust…that’s something I do battle with. I can relate to you in your job situation. I am unhappy where I am now and what I’m doing, and God is wanting me to trust him in whatever transition period I’m in right now. Thanks for the reminder.

18. Janet Macy
    December 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Somehow I found your blog today and have been deeply touched. Our only son died just before his 16th birthday in a farm accident. That was 25 years ago and I still struggle. Mother’s Day is still hard for me. Father’s Day is still hard for my husband. We never forget.

I remember trying to find ways to cope. One was a bookmark that I made for myself. On it were several scriptures on Trust. “Tho He may slay me, yet will I trust in Him” from Job. A verse from the 3 Hebrew children in the firey furnace. And some others that spoke directly to me.

You are a brave man. Keep on keeping on. God is blessing you. Jayden is lucky little boy. Not that luck has anything to do with his.

I’ve written some things about my son Terry on my blog over the last 2 years. Things I needed to write and say for myself. Not necessarily for anyone else.

You will always have a hole in your heart. God is enough. I know that even tho I’ve struggled and still struggle.

God bless you